Thursday, February 10, 2011

On truth, honesty, and being vulnerable

Being vulnerable doesn't have to be threatening. Just have the courage to be sincere, open and honest. This opens the door to deeper communication all around. It creates self-empowerment and the kind of connections with others we all want in life. Speaking from the heart frees us from the secrets that burden us. These secrets are what make us sick or fearful. Speaking truth helps you get clarity on your real heart directives.
-- Sara Paddison

* I was just sitting here thinking about a  conversation I had with a group of friends last night. We touched on a few but very important concepts, which brought up some thought-provoking questions:

-What is the difference between truth and honesty?
-Do we sometimes sacrifice who we are and what we want for fear of losing the love and support of our family?

The conversation we were having made me start thinking, and I came up with a question of my own.. Why is it so hard for us as human beings, to feel vulnerable?  I think the quote above does a good job of explaining the benefits of allowing ourselves to feel that. I think we get SO caught up in the preconceptions WE THINK others will say or conclude about us. I think it's safe to say that some of us have a real fear of being judged by people. I mean, let's face it: We don't really want to go the down the road we've chosen alone, it's comforting to know that we have that "go ahead" we sometimes crave from those important people in our lives. Especially our family. What do you do when your family doesn't approve of that special person in your life? Or the lifestyle you've chosen for yourself? Now, unless that someone isn't putting you through physical or emotional harm and that lifestyle you live isn't leading you down a path of self-destruction, are you willing to give op who you and what you want, just to get their support? This is something I've struggled with personally too, I still struggle with it. Especially since I've been raised by my grandparents, we are from two very different generations and we often have two very different views on things; life in general.

I admit, sometimes it's difficult for me to stand up and say, " I know you don't necessarily agree with me on this but this is something I really want for myself and I'm going  to do it." However, if I deny myself of doing something I know I want to do, I'm ultimately denying myself of both truth and honesty. I say this because, I wouldn't be being true to myself, and I wouldn't know the freedom of being honest with my grandparents. Yes, I do find myself feeling a little unsure if I don't have their support which leaves me with a sense of vulnerability but, I am also learning how to be true to myself and to be honest with the people in my life.

In closing, I want you to think about this:

If we want to make a difference in this world,  if we want better relationships,  can we start allowing ourselves to break those barriers between us and honesty? Us and the truth, If we really want to help people, can we face our vulnerability? That's the only way to do it, by letting others see the real you, not the facade..

1 comment: